Downloaded Sources ok

Peter Naulls peter at erble.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Dec 28 13:28:20 PST 2000

In message <m3k88khdth.fsf at nick.ws.noc.dsvr.net>
          Nick Burrett <nick at dsvr.net> wrote:

> > issues, but hopefully I'll try soon.
>
> It's probably not going to work, since the GCC sources have only been
> ported to i386 Linux and i386 FreeBSD.  It's trivial to port to other
> processors and operating systems, so I'll add ARM Linux support
> this afternoon.

Well, it didn't work - though probably for quite different reasons that
you're talking about (no doubt configure issues):

make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/gccsdk/riscos-aof/libfile'
g++ -DUNIX -DTARGET_RISCOSAOF -DCROSS_COMPILE -o /usr/src/gccsdk/arm-riscos-aof/riscos-aof/libfile/OflSymt.o -c OflSymt.
cc -I. -I../../
BList.h: In method `void List<SymbolInfo *>::freeList()':
BList.h:165:   instantiated from `List<SymbolInfo *>::~List()'
OflSymt.cc:11:   instantiated from here
BList.h:367: warning: `void *' is not a pointer-to-object type
BList.h: In method `void List<BString>::freeList()':
BList.h:165:   instantiated from `List<BString>::~List()'
OflSymt.cc:33:   instantiated from here
BList.h:367: warning: `void *' is not a pointer-to-object type
OflSymt.cc: In method `void OflSymt::set(const List_of_p<Chunk> &, LibDir *)':
OflSymt.cc:45: ANSI C++ forbids cast to non-reference type used as lvalue

I'm afraid my C++ in regard to this is way too rusty to fix the problem.

> > How about a weekly tarball/zip of the sources for the people on slow
> > connections or those unable to use !CVS (not me, but others spring to
> > mind).
>
> I figured somebody would mention this.  I expected it to take a little
> longer that 1 day though. :-)

Well, it's just a fluke I looked at the site yesterday :-)  Will you
make an announcement?

> Snapshots and diffs between snapshots are now available and will be
> created weekly on Sunday mornings.

Excellent.   Also, I'd appreciate it if you _didn't_ CC me copies things
you reply to of mine on the list - don't know how other people feel
about this.

Anyway, I've been spending a considerable amount of time recently
looking at ARM compilation and optimisation techniques - I'm personally
keen to reduce the size of some of the code GCC outputs.

Thanks, Peter

 Peter Naulls - peter at erble.freeserve.co.uk
 Homepage - http://free.prohosting.com/~chocky/
 Java for RISC OS and ARM - http://free.prohosting.com/~chocky/java/