Downloaded Sources ok

Nick Burrett nick at dsvr.net
Fri Dec 29 01:20:04 PST 2000

Peter Naulls <peter at erble.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> In message <m3k88khdth.fsf at nick.ws.noc.dsvr.net>
>           Nick Burrett <nick at dsvr.net> wrote:
>
> > > issues, but hopefully I'll try soon.
> >
> > It's probably not going to work, since the GCC sources have only been
> > ported to i386 Linux and i386 FreeBSD.  It's trivial to port to other
> > processors and operating systems, so I'll add ARM Linux support
> > this afternoon.
>
> Well, it didn't work - though probably for quite different reasons that
> you're talking about (no doubt configure issues):
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/gccsdk/riscos-aof/libfile'
> g++ -DUNIX -DTARGET_RISCOSAOF -DCROSS_COMPILE -o /usr/src/gccsdk/arm-riscos-aof/riscos-aof/libfile/OflSymt.o -c OflSymt.
> cc -I. -I../../
> BList.h: In method `void List<SymbolInfo *>::freeList()':
> BList.h:165:   instantiated from `List<SymbolInfo *>::~List()'
> OflSymt.cc:11:   instantiated from here
> BList.h:367: warning: `void *' is not a pointer-to-object type
> BList.h: In method `void List<BString>::freeList()':
> BList.h:165:   instantiated from `List<BString>::~List()'
> OflSymt.cc:33:   instantiated from here
> BList.h:367: warning: `void *' is not a pointer-to-object type
> OflSymt.cc: In method `void OflSymt::set(const List_of_p<Chunk> &, LibDir *)':
> OflSymt.cc:45: ANSI C++ forbids cast to non-reference type used as lvalue
>
> I'm afraid my C++ in regard to this is way too rusty to fix the problem.

The g++ line is missing `-fpermissive', which is detected and added by
the top-level configure.in.  I bet you are using a GCC snapshot, since
I only added detection for 2.95 and version 3.0.

Can you send me the exact result of
$ g++ --version

> > > How about a weekly tarball/zip of the sources for the people on slow
> > > connections or those unable to use !CVS (not me, but others spring to
> > > mind).
> >
> > I figured somebody would mention this.  I expected it to take a little
> > longer that 1 day though. :-)
>
> Well, it's just a fluke I looked at the site yesterday :-)  Will you
> make an announcement?

I will, eventually.  I don't want to create a huge flood of build problem
reports.  I'm taking the opportunity to do a lot of work, without any
interruption.

Nick.