gccsdk compilation problems

James Bursa james.bursa at oriel.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Jan 21 04:27:58 PST 2001

Nick Burrett writes:

 > James Bursa <james.bursa at oriel.oxford.ac.uk> writes:
 >
 > > Hi Nick,
 > >
 > > I've downloaded the gccsdk using cvs, but I'm having problems
 > > compiling it. My system is a Linux PC, with current versions of gcc,
 > > make, etc.
 > >
 > > When I type make, the compilation gets through stage 1, but fails in
 > > stage 2:
 > >
 > > ---
 > > jbursa at zames:~/Programming/gccsdk/gccsdk$ make build-stg2
 > > make -C libiberty "STAGE=stage2" "TRG=apcs26/unixlib"
 > > make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jbursa/Programming/gccsdk/gccsdk/libiberty'
 > > mkdir -p /home/jbursa/Programming/gccsdk/gccsdk/arm-riscos-aof/libiberty/stage2
 > > /home/jbursa/Programming/gccsdk/riscos/cross/bin//gcc -O2 -DTARGET_RISCOSAOF -DIN_GCC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -o /home/jbursa/Programming/gccsdk/gccsdk/arm-riscos-aof/libiberty/stage2/choose-temp.o -c choose-temp.c -I. -I../include
 > > cpp: too many input files
 > > gcc: Fatal compiler error: program cpp
 > > make[1]: *** [/home/jbursa/Programming/gccsdk/gccsdk/arm-riscos-aof/libiberty/stage2/choose-temp.o] Error 1
 > > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jbursa/Programming/gccsdk/gccsdk/libiberty'
 > > make: *** [libiberty-stg2] Error 2
 > > ---
 >
 > Are you using resource limits ? Perhaps you have one set that restricts
 > the number of files that you may have open.
 >
 > > Also, what's the best way of using the cross-compiler with the
 > > existing gcc? Should there be just one gcc front end, which uses
 > > command line flags to choose the machine type, or is it better to keep
 > > them entirely separate?
 >
 > Keep them separate.  It is *not* a standard GCC installation and I would
 > certainly not advise installing into /usr or /usr/local at this moment
 > in time.  The project is too early in development.  Just put it in the
 > PATH like it says in the README, or call the front-end with the full path.

I've now got it working. In case anyone else has a similar problem,
what I did was:

1. configure and make stage 1
2. set PATH to include the cross compiler bin directory and the
bin/arm-riscos-aof/2_95_2 subdirectory at the front
3. make stage 2

It looks like the problems I was having were due to the wrong cpp
being used, or some similar conflict.

I don't have an acorn with me, so I can't test it, but a hello world
program worked under armemu.

James