GCC development status 2002-12-15

Nick Burrett nick at dsvr.net
Mon Dec 16 10:51:09 GMT 2002

Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 02:27:17PM +0000, Nick Burrett wrote:
>
>>Be aware that the GCC 3.3 compiler is much slower than GCC 2.95.4.  So
>>much so, that it forced me to upgrade my ageing PII-266 laptop for a P4
>>1.8Mhz laptop just so I could get the SDK built in a reasonable time.
>>There is continuing work on the GCC core lists to try to improve compile
>>time performance, but this is not clear cut and looks like it will take
>>many years.
>

> This isn't really on topic for this list, but is there a consensus summary
> of why 3.3 is so much slower?

The bison-based parser and garbage collection are the main issues.

In GCC 3.4, the C++ parser has been re-written by a human.  This
addresses certain parsing problems and should be a lot faster.

Internal memory management was switched to garbage collection.   This
has helped to reduce memory consumption.  However the collector can take
considerable time to run as there are many variables and complex
structures to traverse.

--
Nick Burrett
Network Engineer, Designer Servers Ltd.   http://www.dsvr.co.uk