Starting Perl script

Nick Burrett nick at dsvr.net
Wed Jan 2 04:17:41 PST 2002

Stefan Bellon <sbellon at sbellon.de> writes:

> So, now to the question: How do I start a Perl script from within a
> program linked against UnixLib?
>
> If I do
>
>     system("my_perl_script");
>
> then the the application hangs in that call, not freezing the machine,
> when run from within a TaskWindow. There's plenty of memory assigned to
> the WimpSlot.
>
> Any ideas?

Simple answer. You can't.

Long answer: Applications must be built with the same version of UnixLib
or the SharedCLibrary.  This is due to occasional changes in Unixlib's
`struct proc', which older applications won't understand.

Hence perl, which is built with a much older UnixLib, will be accessing
data in the parent's process structure which won't make sense, and therefore
crash your computer.

Nick.