Starting Perl script

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Wed Jan 2 05:26:20 PST 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 01:14:43PM +0000, Nick Burrett wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre <vincent at vinc17.org> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 12:17:41 +0000, Nick Burrett wrote:
> > > Hence perl, which is built with a much older UnixLib, will be accessing
> > > data in the parent's process structure which won't make sense, and therefore
> > > crash your computer.
> >
> > Couldn't perl be recompiled and linked with the latest version of
> > UnixLib?
>
> Yes.  Things have moved on single that perl port, so it might not
> be that easy.

I doubt that it is just a recompile.

[that's a very terse answer.
perl is playing games when it execs another program so that it can do
reliable output capture. I know it's not a recompile. It's big.
]

However, I thought that there was a UnixLib version magic number in the proc
struct, and if the child finds that the parent's differs, the child ignores
it. If not, why did I think that?

Also, I wouldn't count me as the perl maintainer in any active sense.
I've effectively put the reins down. A guy called Richard Proctor was
going to take up the reins, but it's all gone quiet.

Nicholas Clark