RISC OS line termination

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Thu Jan 24 14:58:49 PST 2002

In message <Pine.LNX.4.33.0201241135450.24475-100000 at ugnode2.ecs.soton.ac.uk> you wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Ian Jeffray wrote:
>
> > John Tytgat wrote:
> >
> > > As far as I know RISC OS line termination is ASCII 10 followed by ASCII 13
> > > (cfr the output of "*help { > ram:$.out }").  In UnixLib the line endings
> > > are most of the times 13 followed by 10.
> > >
> > > Any objections to change this ?
> >
> > YES!  Big objections!    10,13 is a DOSism that is foul and stinks.

Maybe bad explanation on my part.  I wasn't talking about line termination
of normal text files.  I was talking about the codes for going to the
next line when printing output to the 'console'.  Ian, plz have a look
at the contents of ram:$.out after a "*help { > ram:$.out }".  And have
a look at the R0 given to OS_Write0 calls or the data following OS_WriteS
in UnixLib.  It is not consistent.  My proposal to to use 13 + 10
for such output strings.

> > RISC OS is like UNIX and only uses a 10 as a line ending (open up a normal
> > textfile/obeyfile in Zap binary mode and you'll see).
> >
> > Why do you want to change this behaviour?  Where would you change it
> > anyway?    I think this is a *REALLY* bad idea.
>
> I think you have missed the point. When outputting text to a taskwindow,
> you *need* to use both CR and LF.
> If you just
>            use LF then
>                       you end up with
>                                      text like this.
> When writing to a file, only LF is output, as expected.
> The 32bit scl changed the order used to LF CR used; previous scl releases
> used CR LF.

Yes, that was a reason too to change this but I forgot to mentioned it.
BTW, all my questions are part of the work I've done to make UnixLib APCS-32
compatible.  I'm trying to get it merged in but it is painful :-(.

> I agree with John's proposal.

What about you Ian ?