GCC 3.3 compilation on PowerPC / Darwin

Nick Burrett nick at dsvr.net
Wed Jul 23 01:07:14 PDT 2003

John Tytgat wrote:
> In message <3F1D0082.20903 at dsvr.net>
>           Nick Burrett <nick at dsvr.net> wrote:
>>You take a PowerPC machine running Darwin, configure GCC 3.3 on that,
>>then inspect the resultant config.h, hconfig.h and tconfig.h header
>>files.  That will then tell you which headers you need to import.
>

> After re-reading Q4 I understand what's mentioned there.  But GCC 3.3
> has moved on since the snapshot has been taken.  Doesn't it make sense
> to update as well (now that it is nearly frozen) so that we can have the
> latest bugfixes as well ?

Erm.  Yes, it does.   I am thinking of importing the GCC 3.4 branch
instead though.

The libstdc++ guys reckon that the library should work without wide
character support.  So armed with that news, I'll have another crack at
the task.

>>Note that 'host_system' in configure.in hasn't been correctly set.  Did
>>you run autoconf ?
>

> Yes I did, but probably I fooled myself when rerunning things, that not
> everything gets automatically regenerated.  I restarted from scratch and
> now have a proper HOST_POWERPC_DARWIN defined.

It's a half-arsed build system that was originally designed to allow the
GCCSDK to be compiled on both RISC OS and Unix.  I had just stuck to
Unix, then we would have a fully autoconf enabled build system, with
dependencies and all such wonderful things.  One for the ToDo list :-)

>>It's better to get the configure stuff working properly before you start
>>to tackle errors like this.
>

> Still get this one, but maybe because of the above mentioned config.h, etc
> files ?

I think that is highly likely.

Nick.

--