UnixLib as a shared library

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Sun Jan 25 09:16:15 PST 2004

In message <4013F435.1020007 at dsvr.net>
          Nick Burrett <nick at dsvr.net> wrote:

> This is unfeasible.  Too many differences between the SCL and UnixLib.
> You simply can't link object files between the two libraries and hope
> that something would work.  The end user would have to choose the target
> library and then develop the application around that.

Certainly.  However, it can be done if you're very careful.  DeskLib is
safe to use with both UnixLib and SCL (although I'm not sure about the
vsprintf stuff).  See:   http://www.riscos.info/unixlib/

Nevertheless, I would suggest that the full gain of shared libraries
comes from programs that are linked with the much larger Unixlib, and
large Unix libraries that these programs tend to use.   i.e., the gain
from a SCL program using shared libraries simply may not be worth the
effort.