To-Do/Feature requests

Nick Burrett nick at dsvr.net
Wed Jun 9 08:03:11 PDT 2004

John Tytgat wrote:

> Slightly related to this, I think it wouldn't be bad if the current
> GCC/UnixLib contributers could agree on a "what's next" agenda.  Feedback
> of the GCC/UnixLib users would be appreciated.  Personally I would like
> to see the "APCS-32 & 'float' argument" issue resolved and get GCC 3.3
> out.  Some work on GCC 3.4 has already been done.  I would like to do
> code contributions concerning iconv and multibyte support.  Any other items
> we will tackle ? ELF ? Shared libraries ? GCC producing RISC OS modules ?

I'd prefer to drop 3.3 and use 3.4 instead, for reasons that I've
previously described.  The current state of the 3.4 compiler is actually
close to, if not better w.r.t. less bugs than the 3.3 RISC OS compiler.

We could add iconv as a library that's automatically built and
distributed with GCCSDK, simply by adding it to the riscos-libs
directory.  That was the original intention of that directory.

Things I would like to see are:

a) A working Java compiler.  The framework is there now.  I haven't
tried to test the system yet because garbage collection was the sticking
point.  However it is possible to run without a garbage collector.

b) A working Ada compiler.  The support of pthreads in UnixLib probably
solves the main sticking point, which was Tasking.

c) Anybody care about Objective-C ?  It's easy to port the compiler, but
got knows about any of the run-time libraries.  It depends on whether
you want GNOME for RISC OS, I suppose.

d) UnixLib headers fixed to conform to the ISO C99 and ISO C90
namespaces.  I think this is becoming more critical for compilance with
the Standard C++ Library.

e) Better RISC OS specific documentation and more information and
tutorial on what the myriad of ARM-specific compiler options do with
contrived examples and resultant ARM assembler output.  This becomes
more sigificant when you start looking at unit-at-a-time mode in GCC 3.4
and the tree optimisation stuff in GCC 3.5.

Can't think of anything else.

--
Nick Burrett, Senior Systems and Network Engineer
Designer Servers Ltd.   http://www.dsvr.co.uk