[gccsdk] GCCSDK GCC 4 status update

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Mon Dec 11 00:54:10 GMT 2006

In message <b3b70a7a4e.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>

>   In order to see how far I could stretch things I've cross-compiled Firefox
>   from autobuilder which also needed some extra hacks and I just got it
>   running using Lee's ELF loader under RISC OS.  A quick test seems to
>   indicate that it works like expected so basically it shows we're having
>   a very stable GCC 4.1.1 cross-compiler !

Unfortunately, something as simple as wget doesn't work with
optimization.  I didn't track down the exact problem, but using > -O0
causes a problem in bar_update in wget, perhaps related to FP
operations.  Indeed, a version with soft-float doesn't crash.

GCC 4.1.2 hasn't quite been released yet, but there's been a number of
fixes.  It might be worth looking at.   Alternatively, taking another
look at soft vs hard float performance.