[gccsdk] ctorrent port for the autobuilder

alan buckley alan_baa at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 4 05:19:05 PDT 2007

>Theo Markettos <theo at markettos.org.uk> wrote on Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:07:16
>+0100
>
>On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 09:25:41PM +0100, John Tytgat wrote:
> > In message <BAY101-F18A9DA431F7016E4EB3B93F0600 at phx.gbl>
> >           "alan buckley" <alan_baa at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm always interested in helping here,
> >
> > Yes ! :-) Thanks.
> >
> > > but seem to always have problems relating to Cygwin not having apt-get

[snip apt-get discussion for cygwin]

>A quick google suggests people were having trouble trying to compile apt
>for
>cygwin.  However I don't quite see why it's necessary...
>autobuilder/fetch-program should fallback to its own apt-like behaviour if
>it doesn't find apt when fetching.  I have to confess I haven't tested this
>in detail.

The fetch-program fallback works very well. I have used it quite a lot. In
fact the comments here inspired me to try it again and I found another
case where it didn't work.

However I have now modified it to fix the problem I was having compiling
Chox11 (after the desklib problem mentioned elsewhere) .

I now have to try to cross-compile some programs that use it.

>I do have cygwin so can test stuff if necessary.
>
> > > Is Cygwin a legitimate machine to attempt to autobuild on? (I have had
> > > a lot of success in the past)
> >
> > In principle I would say the more platforms we get autobuilder working
>on,
> > the better.  On the other hand, we're kinda limited trying out all those
> > combinations so if it is too much hassle to get that supported we might
> > better want to focus on a couple of already working platforms/setups
> > instead.

In my case Cygwin is significantly quicker and easier to run, so I think I
will
pursue it. However I appreciate it's not going to be one of the main
supported
platforms.

[snip building Firefox]

> > Nick's suggestion of using VMware player might be the answer.

This is a good idea. I have tried using Microsofts Virtual PC to run a
debian
image and that seemed to work. However I still couldn't build Chox11 on
it so I reverted back to Cygwin which I find significantly faster and
easier.

>One idea I've been thinking about is to build a custom Debian or Ubuntu
>live
>CD image, which has all the right packages installed.  You can then either
>boot this in a real x86 machine and run the compilers straight from CD, or
>run it under qemu on whatever platform you like (Windows, Mac OS, Sparc
>etc)... and you could even run it _very_slowly_ under Bochs on RISC OS.
>It's particularly aimed at those who have some development skills but
>aren't
>interested in installing Linux.
>
>Ubuntu looks a better bet (should Just Work on more machines), and it's
>fairly straightforward to do:
>http://uck.sourceforge.net/

I tried Ubuntu on a virtual machine and couldn't get the display to work.

>The tricky issues are a) testing on different setups and b) bandwidth to
>serve lots of CD images.  b) was part of my thinking behind the ctorrent
>port.

If you get an image you want testing I would be happy to try it.

Regards,
Alan