[gccsdk] ctorrent port for the autobuilder

Theo Markettos theo at markettos.org.uk
Sat Mar 31 17:36:19 BST 2007

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 08:53:35AM -0700, Peter Naulls wrote:
> The slightly arbitrary policy has always been Debian unstable, since
> that's what I use, and Debian unstable generally reflects stable
> upstream releases.  Remember, the sources distribution doesn't have to
> match the one that's running, since we don't really rely upon the native
> tools or libraries (with a couple of exceptions). Moreover, the sources
> fetching can be done in lieu of apt-get on the system, although perhaps
> not quite as well, avoiding whatever the system may refer to.

Thanks, that makes sense...

I think there might be one or two dependencies that aren't explicit though.
I was trying to build Firefox the other week on my build machine which I
thought was Debian testing (it had 'testing' in
/etc/apt/sources.list) but actually had mostly Debian stable/sarge packages
on it.  A configure script complained it was missing something to do with
'xproto'... after a bit of searching I found it was in the package
x11proto-core-dev in 'testing'... so I installed it, but I didn't realise
this was a package for x.org while I was on XFree86.  Huge dependency
conflicts arose... even using 'apt-get dist-upgrade' a few times didn't
solve them.  Eventually I think I resolved it by upgrading to x.org
manually, but I haven't had time to revisit it since.

That's pretty much irrelevant to this debate, but there may be one or two
similar conflicts between build distribution and source distribution.  Does
anyone build on a disparate system like this, and have they had any problems?

Theo