[gccsdk] GCCSDK GCC 4.1.1 pre-release 1

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Fri Nov 16 18:43:26 PST 2007

About 13 months ago we started the GCCSDK 4 developments using Nick's
initial GCC 4 port as a basis.  Today I'm happy to announce a first
pre-release of that work looking for developer feedback and to allow
broader testing than we've done so far.

Featuring:

 * GNU C/C++ compilers based on GCC 4.1.1 and Binutils 2.17.
 * Object file format is now ELF based and no longer AOF/AIF (although that
   Absolute AIF files can be created from static built ELF programs).
 * Shared library support with default set of shared libraries for UnixLib,
   libgcc, C++ support library and dynamic loader.
 * UnixLib as runtime library also means a soft-float floating point
   implementation resulting significant speed increases for floating point
   intensive code.
 * RISC OS module support for C programs

More details can be found via !GCC.!Help (including known problems).

We consider this as a test release so any feedback on things which could
be improved are more than welcome.  If you as developer are happy to
already release your programs with this pre-release, feel free to do so
but please only with static linked libraries as we're planning some changes
for the shared libraries and don't want to be a position to have to support
the current shared libraries in this release.

RISC OS Binary & source download details at:
<URL:http://www.riscos.info/index.php/GCCSDK_Releases#GCCSDK_GCC_4.1.1_Pre-release_1>

People interested in cross-compiling can start with this information:
<URL:http://www.riscos.info/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=gccsdk&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fgcc4%2FREADME&rev=0&sc=0>

Details on the development of GCCSDK GCC 4.1.1 can be found at:
<URL:http://www.riscos.info/index.php/GCCSDK_Development>.

This release wouldn't be possible without:

  - Nick Burrett's initial GCC 4 port work.
  - Lee Noar's shared library work
  - John Tytgat's work on building, C modules support and all other GCCSDK 4
    work
  - all UnixLib contributors
  - Justin Fletcher's CMunge
  - Rob Kendrick's mkresfs
  - riscos.info hosting
  - and of course all the GCC and Binutils contributors