[gccsdk] Building GCC4 in Cygwin

Adam lists at snowstone.org.uk
Mon Jan 14 11:13:10 PST 2008

In message <478B92FF.80303 at chocky.org>, Peter Naulls wrote:

> Adam wrote:
> > In message <BAY101-W22DEF9DAC4DD603517AFBF0460 at phx.gbl>, alan
> > buckley wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone else tried building GCC4 with Cygwin? I've been playing
> > around with it. One problem has been that Cygwin doesn't have an
> > official autogen build. After a query on the Cygwin mailing list,
> > someone was kind enough to send me their build of it though.
> >
> > So, I've been following through the GCC4 readme file and have got
> > this so far:
> >
> >   $ ./create-srcdir
> >   [snip]
> >   patching file ltconfig
> >   Copying files
> >   /home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc4/recipe/scripts/reconf-ld
> >   /home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc4/recipe/scripts/reconf-libscl
> >   configure.ac:117: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
> >         If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
> >         See the Autoconf documentation.
> >
> > Does this matter? Anyway, I carried on regardless...
>
> Yes, the "error" bit is your clue ;-)

Heh, well I thought maybe the "possibly" let me off the hook.

> You might want to check the versions closely with what we say in the
> Readme

OK, I've removed automake 1.10 so 1.9 is used (despite the Cygwin
package manager complaining that libtool depends on 1.10 and trying to
install it) and this has produced a different output, leading to the
same eventual error:

  $ ./create-srcdir
  Copying original GCC
  Copying original binutils

Is there any way to avoid having to re-do the two stages (preceded by
deleting srcdir) above? It pretty much makes my WinXP installation fall
over, for some reason. In the end I deleted srcdir from safe-mode :(

  patching file Makefile.def
[snip]
  patching file ltconfig
  Copying files
  /home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc4/recipe/scripts/reconf-ld
  /home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc4/recipe/scripts/reconf-libscl
  /home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc4/recipe/scripts/reconf-libstdc++
  /home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc4/recipe/scripts/reconf-libunixlib
  Makefile.am:1122: user target `sul$(EXEEXT)' defined here...
  /usr/share/automake-1.9/am/program.am: ... overrides Automake target `sul$(EXEEX
  T)' defined here
  Makefile.am:1114:   while processing program `sul'
  Makefile.am:1144: user target `dvsprintf.lo' defined here...
  /usr/share/automake-1.9/am/depend2.am: ... overrides Automake target `dvsprintf.
  lo' defined here
  Makefile.am:1130: user target `brk.lo' defined here...
  /usr/share/automake-1.9/am/depend2.am: ... overrides Automake target `brk.lo' de
  fined here
  Makefile.am:1137: user target `stackalloc.lo' defined here...
  /usr/share/automake-1.9/am/depend2.am: ... overrides Automake target `stackalloc
  .lo' defined here

  adamr at Lenny ~/gccsdk/gcc4
  $ ./build-it > build-output.txt 2>&1

  adamr at Lenny ~/gccsdk/gcc4
  $ ls
  README            create-srcdir               orig.gcc-4.1.1.tar.bz2
  build-it          download-gcc-binutils       porting-scripts
  build-output.txt  install-env                 recipe
  builddir-cross    orig.binutils               riscos
  create-gcckit     orig.binutils-2.17.tar.bz2  setup-gccsdk-params
  create-patch      orig.gcc                    srcdir

  adamr at Lenny ~/gccsdk/gcc4
  $ cd builddir-cross

  adamr at Lenny ~/gccsdk/gcc4/builddir-cross
  $ make
  cd /home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc4/srcdir && autogen Makefile.def
  make: *** [/home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc4/srcdir/Makefile.in] Error 53

Adam

--
Adam Richardson          Carpe Diem
http://www.snowstone.org.uk/riscos/