[gccsdk] Autobuilder application detecting when to use Dynamic areas

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Mon Jan 14 13:28:12 PST 2008

In message <BAY101-W37371D0E3F4630E1626C39F0460 at phx.gbl>
          alan buckley <alan_baa at hotmail.com> wrote:

> With the availability of RISC OS 6 the check in a few
> of the autobuilder applications to see if the machine
> is an Iyonix will no longer work.
>
> The current check is something like:
> RMEnsure UtilityModule 5.00 Set progname$Heap ""
> RMEnsure UtilityModule 5.00 SetEval progname$HeapMax 64
>
> This check is usually used to see when to use Dynamic
> areas rather than the wimpslot.
>
> Can anyone suggest an alternative check that will work
> with RISC OS 6 as well?

With UnixLib 5 in GCCSDK 4 we might have the option to deal with this
in a more elegant way.  E.g. suppose in UnixLib 5 we change the default
for heap vs DA as:

1) When progname$Heap is set to "yes" -> use wimpslot
2) When progname$Heap is set to "no" -> use DA.
3) When it is not set or not one of those values -> use the default choice
   based on OS. And the default choice is to use DA except when running on
   RISC OS 5.

And then I guess most programs don't have to set progname$Heap at all (the
exceptions are programs which fork as then you probably want to use DA).

Comments ?