[gccsdk] Shared library status update

Adam lists at snowstone.org.uk
Wed Jan 16 12:35:39 PST 2008

In message <f655285e4f.admin at snowstone.org.uk>, Adam wrote:

> In message <4783DAD3.3010206 at sky.com>, Lee wrote:
>
> > Peter Naulls wrote:
>
> > > Perhaps we can also have some opinions on how shared libraries ought
> > > to be distributed - wrt to packaging and !DSO-Libs.
> >
> > [snip !DSO-Libs]
>
> Has there been any further discussion on the issues raised in the
> "Shared Library Distribution" thread from a while ago? E.g. Martin
> Wuerthner's contribution and Alan Buckley's thoughts? (And not
> forgetting the important issue of a nice name as raised by Theo
> Markettos ;) )

[snip silence]

Hmm, OK, well, let me summarise the main discussion from then, as I saw
it. I am sure I will make some miss-quotes so apologies in advance, and
corrections are welcome!

 The current (default) system is just that libraries get included in a
 skeleton DSO-Libs and it's down to the user to merge it with the
 "master" DSO-Libs.

 Martin argued that this is an imperfect system which is likely to result
 in user-error. In particular he pointed out that it leads to confusion
 about the difference between the "master" DSO-Libs and the "skeleton"
 DSO-Libs.

 As an alternative, he suggested that the "master" DSO-Libs should be an
 active object which would handle the merging, invoked by the !Run file
 of the distributed library.[1]

 Alan suggested a scheme based around libPkg which would be a super-set
 of the scheme outlined by Martin.

 There was a small amount of discussion about names, with no-one
 objecting to !SharedLib. I suggest that be adopted.

Thoughts?

If it's of any use, I'd be willing to volunteer to put together a scheme
based on Martin's suggestions.

Adam

[1] This has shades of the old Impression document-directory approach to
me. How about the distributed libraries just being a single file
(perhaps a zip file with a different filetype) which, when
double-clicked, would invoke the merge tool?

--
Adam Richardson          Carpe Diem
http://www.snowstone.org.uk/riscos/