[gccsdk] Shared library status update

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Fri Jan 25 11:13:37 PST 2008

alan buckley wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:06:51 -0800 Peter Naulls wrote:
>>
>> Can we please sum up in a series of bullet points exactly how it's going
>> to work? I admit I haven't followed this awfully closely, but I suspect
>> even for those who have but aren't overly familiar with the subject, it
>> might not be obvious. I'm after some details, but don't get too carried
>> away.
>>

> This is what I'm proposing, but I'm don't know if it's agreed upon.
>
>>From a users perspective.
>
> 1. Download a new application !SharedMan.

[snip lots of steps]

To be honest, I really don't like this.  It's the antithesis of what
packaging and automated installing is all about.   Yes, for development
purposes and occasional manual intervention, there needs to be a
semi-manual install process.

But most of the time, I really don't care.  If an application requires
shared libraries, then dependencies should take care of it.  Any manager
will be downloaded and installed automatically, as will the libraries
themselves.  Yes, display some kind of process, and yes, have a
way of displaying what's installed, yes.  But don't make me, and
more important even users, who want it to "just work" perform any
kind of manual steps.  It has been precisely this point that has
been a huge hindrance with users installing software, even if it's
"obvious" how to download and unzip/drag/copy files.

Thanks.