[gccsdk] Building GCC4 in Cygwin

Adam lists at snowstone.org.uk
Tue Jan 29 23:31:29 GMT 2008

In message <e3acf8684f.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>, John Tytgat wrote:

> In message <c090ed684f.admin at snowstone.org.uk>
>           Adam <lists at snowstone.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > In message <a8bd68684f.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>, John Tytgat wrote:
> >
> > > That's very good news.  Could you add your experience & specifics you
> > > had to do to <URL:http://www.riscos.info/index.php/Cygwin_setup> page ?
> >
> > I've added a few bits. The main problem is the lack of an official
> > autogen package in Cygwin.
>
> How did you get around it ? Somehow the situation is not right yet for you.
> Quoted from your log:
>
> --8<--
> cd /home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc/srcdir && autogen Makefile.def
> AutoGen aborting on signal 11 (Segmentation fault) in state DONE
> --8<--

To quote the source (Dave Korn) of my copy of autogen:

  "It configures and builds OOTB, but the compiled binary hangs on
completion and has to be manually killed.  The later stages of the build
process use the newly-compiled autogen exe, so the build process itself
won't complete unless you're sitting there killing autogen every time it
hangs up.  (Since I use it so little, I just live with this.)"

...so you have to kill the process every time it runs, but apparently
the actual work is done successfully.

Since writing the above Dave has apparently solved the problem, so
there's a chance an official stable version of autogen might materialise
at some point.

[snip]
> 2) Restart your build from scratch with ./build-it as you did before.

OK, I'll try and find time to do this sometime.

Cheers,
Adam

--
Adam Richardson          Carpe Diem