[gccsdk] Building GCC4 in Cygwin

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Wed Jan 30 12:41:42 PST 2008

In message <BAY101-W204C269339EC1336FD0C59F0360 at phx.gbl>
          alan buckley <alan_baa at hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> The build-it script seemed to hang after about an
> hour. I assumed it was a hang as the output file wasn't
> increasing in size anymore (I gave it plenty of time for
> something to happen). I then interrupted the script
> and restarted cygwin and reset my variables.
> I then used:
> cd builddir-cross
> make
> to continue the build.
> [...]

Above quoted to illustrate my answer on:

> [...]
> Once I had this variable the package failed with
> elf2aof missing. I found this in gcc4 install and
> followed the instructions to build it and tried
> again.

I can explain this:

Roughly speaking build-it script does:

  1) configure gcc/binutils
  2) 'make all' followed by a 'make install'
  3) Go into the riscos subdirectory and execute the local build-it script
     there as well.
I assume steps 1) and 2) were done (including 'make install') and my guess
is that step 3) isn't.

Step 3) builds in 'cross' mode (the implicit mode of './build-it' unless
you want to build the native RISC OS binaries which requires the explicit
'riscos' parameter) the cmunge, elf2aif, mkresfs, ln and the dl shared