[gccsdk] Building GCC4 in Cygwin

Adam lists at snowstone.org.uk
Thu Jan 31 21:41:49 GMT 2008

In message <20080129233358.GP18485 at chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo Markettos wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 11:44:00PM +0100, John Tytgat wrote:
> > Adam wrote:
> > > [20 hour build time]
> > I've done the test:
> >
> >   3.4.6: about 7 minutes real time
> >   4.1.1: about 25 minutes real time
>
> If you have a virus checker on Windows I'd guess about double that, as
> every temporary file emitted by the build has to be checked.

Thanks Theo. I didn't think this was a problem for me as I don't have a
virus checker loaded normally. However, I had a browse around the active
processes and killed two related to AVG update, one to do with Adaware
and also stopped ZoneAlarm (as vsmon.exe seemed to be taking lots of
processor time). This appears to have had a significant effect as I
built GCC again overnight and it had finished before the morning - e.g.
less that 7ish hours compared to the original 20!

Adam

--
Adam Richardson          Carpe Diem
http://www.snowstone.org.uk/riscos/