[gccsdk] Building GCC4 in Cygwin

Adam lists at snowstone.org.uk
Thu Jan 31 22:00:17 GMT 2008

In message <e3acf8684f.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>, John Tytgat wrote:

> In message <c090ed684f.admin at snowstone.org.uk>
>           Adam <lists at snowstone.org.uk> wrote:
> > In message <a8bd68684f.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>, John Tytgat wrote:

> 1) Do a 'svn update' so you have this fix
> <URL:http://www.riscos.info/websvn/listing.php?repname=gccsdk&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fgcc4%2F&rev=3281&sc=1>
>    That's a fix for feedback I got from Peter and ensures that ./build-it
>    will always start from scratch and doesn't reuse anything.  The ultimate
>    restart point.
> 2) Restart your build from scratch with ./build-it as you did before.

OK, did that, everything went smoothly :)

> I'm interested in your build log file afterwards as I can compare it with
> mine and perhaps we can find other meaningful differences.

Hmm, strangely my build-output file has not been replaced - does it only
get created if it doesn't exist to start with?

> After a succesful build, you should be able to run
> "$GCCSDK_INSTALL_CROSSBIN/arm-unknown-riscos-gcc --version" and that should
> say something like:
> --8<--
> arm-unknown-riscos-gcc (GCC) 4.1.1 (GCCSDK GCC 4.1.1 pre-release 2)

Yep, got that.

> And finally:
> 3) Check if you can reuse an existing build, by:
>    $ cd builddir-cross
>    $ make

This hung in the middle, though a ctrl-C appeared to let to complete

>    $ make install

This ended with:

  make[4]: Entering directory `/home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc/builddir-cross/arm-unknown-r
  test -z "/home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc/cross/bin" || mkdir -p -- "/home/adamr/gccsdk/gc
    /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c 'sul' '/home/adamr/gccsdk
  libtool: ltconfig version `' does not match ltmain.sh version `1.4a-GCC3.0'
  Fatal configuration error.  See the libtool docs for more information.
  make[4]: *** [install-binPROGRAMS] Error 1
  make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc/builddir-cross/arm-unknown-ri
  make[3]: *** [install-am] Error 2
  make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc/builddir-cross/arm-unknown-ri
  make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
  make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc/builddir-cross/arm-unknown-ri
  make[1]: *** [install-target-libunixlib] Error 2
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc/builddir-cross'
  make: *** [install] Error 2

I wonder if this is because I've not got all the dependencies for libtool.
Perhaps using Alan's trick (export WANT_AUTOMAKE=1.9) will allow me to
satisfy libtool. I'll try it out next time I do the whole build process.

Adam Richardson          Carpe Diem