[gccsdk] Building GCC4 in Cygwin

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Thu Jan 31 23:22:28 GMT 2008

In message <7758fc694f.admin at snowstone.org.uk>
          Adam <lists at snowstone.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <e3acf8684f.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>, John Tytgat wrote:
>
> > In message <c090ed684f.admin at snowstone.org.uk>
> >           Adam <lists at snowstone.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > In message <a8bd68684f.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>, John Tytgat wrote:
>
> > 1) Do a 'svn update' so you have this fix
> > <URL:http://www.riscos.info/websvn/listing.php?repname=gccsdk&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fgcc4%2F&rev=3281&sc=1>
> >    That's a fix for feedback I got from Peter and ensures that ./build-it
> >    will always start from scratch and doesn't reuse anything.  The ultimate
> >    restart point.
> > 2) Restart your build from scratch with ./build-it as you did before.
>
> OK, did that, everything went smoothly :)

Alright.

> > I'm interested in your build log file afterwards as I can compare it with
> > mine and perhaps we can find other meaningful differences.
>
> Hmm, strangely my build-output file has not been replaced - does it only
> get created if it doesn't exist to start with?

Euh ? Did you do something like "./build-it > build-output.txt 2>&1" ?
The output of ./build-it goes to stdout so if you don't redirect it, it
won't be saved into a file.

Or do "./build-it 2>&1 | tee build-output.txt" if you want to see the
progress on screen as well.

> > After a succesful build, you should be able to run
> > "$GCCSDK_INSTALL_CROSSBIN/arm-unknown-riscos-gcc --version" and that should
> > say something like:
> >
> > --8<--
> > arm-unknown-riscos-gcc (GCC) 4.1.1 (GCCSDK GCC 4.1.1 pre-release 2)
> [snip]
>
> Yep, got that.

Cool.

> > And finally:
> > 3) Check if you can reuse an existing build, by:
> >
> >    $ cd builddir-cross
> >    $ make
>
> This hung in the middle, though a ctrl-C appeared to let to complete
> successfully.
>

> >    $ make install
>
> This ended with:
>
>   make[4]: Entering directory `/home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc/builddir-cross/arm-unknown-r
>   iscos/libunixlib'
>   test -z "/home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc/cross/bin" || mkdir -p -- "/home/adamr/gccsdk/gc
>   c/cross/bin"
>     /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c 'sul' '/home/adamr/gccsdk
>   /gcc/cross/bin/arm-unknown-riscos-sul'
>   libtool: ltconfig version `' does not match ltmain.sh version `1.4a-GCC3.0'
>   Fatal configuration error.  See the libtool docs for more information.
>   make[4]: *** [install-binPROGRAMS] Error 1
>   make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc/builddir-cross/arm-unknown-ri
>   scos/libunixlib'
>   make[3]: *** [install-am] Error 2
>   make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc/builddir-cross/arm-unknown-ri
>   scos/libunixlib'
>   make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>   make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc/builddir-cross/arm-unknown-ri
>   scos/libunixlib'
>   make[1]: *** [install-target-libunixlib] Error 2
>   make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/adamr/gccsdk/gcc/builddir-cross'
>   make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> I wonder if this is because I've not got all the dependencies for libtool.
> Perhaps using Alan's trick (export WANT_AUTOMAKE=1.9) will allow me to
> satisfy libtool. I'll try it out next time I do the whole build process.

Cfr. my other reply on LTCONFIG_VERSION environment variable.  If you could
set that to the right value and start again (just to be sure this all can
get repeated from a clean start)...