[gccsdk] UnixLib, Signals & Threading

Alex Waugh alex at alexwaugh.com
Mon Jul 7 14:28:41 PDT 2008

Adam <lists at snowstone.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to get my head around handling signals in a threaded app.
> However, I keep just getting a stack backtrace written to stderr. As far
> as I can tell my signal handler never gets a look in.

Signals should execute in the context of the thread that caused them,
however they currently execute in the global context which makes it hard
to implement sigwait correctly as the context switcher wouldn't know
which thread to wake up on a signal (so it doesn't bother).
The only way to send a signal that sigwait will notice is to use
pthread_kill().

Alex

Alex Waugh                                           alex at alexwaugh.com