[gccsdk] Loading SO Manager automatically

alan buckley alan_baa at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 08:22:36 PDT 2008

> On Fri, 23 May 2008 23:50:58 +0200 John Tytgat wrote:
>
> In message
> alan buckley  wrote:
>

>> I was wondering if it would make sense to modify the !SharedLibs
>> !Boot file so that it could automatically load the SO Manager
>> when an ELF file was run.
>>
>> I was thinking of changing the boot entry for ELF files to:
>>
>> Set Alias$@RunType_E1F SharedLibs:SOM1stRun %%*0
>>
>> and have a new Obey file in the SharedLibs folder called
>> SOM1stRun with the following contents.
>>
>> | Load the SOManager and run an ELF executable
>>
>> RMEnsure SOManager 2.00 RMLoad SharedLibs:SOManager
>> RMEnsure SOManager 2.00 Error Need at least v2.00 of Shared Object Manager (SOManager)
>>
>> Set Alias$@RunType_E1F SOMRun %%*0
>>
>> SOMRun %*0
>>
>> Any comments?
>
> Yes, I don't think this is a good idea. Why would you do that instead of
> only relying on activation when !SharedLibs gets run ?

This was so that it could be placed in a position where it did not need to
be run. If we want to put it in !Boot.Resources anyway this is
really not an issue.

My take on the RISC OS Packaging project was that it would probably
be better to put it in Apps.Libraries and register the boot variables
including one to launch the SOM1stRun obey file when the first ELF
file is run.

> dissatisfaction IMHO. Firstly just by the fact binaries get automatically
> loaded. And secondly, you could have a Wimp_ReportError error with the
> RMEnsured lines mentioned above [1].

I think you misunderstood what I was proposing. The Module would only be
loaded when the first ELF file was run. The SOM1stRun obey file would only
be run when this happened. The !Boot file just assosiates the ELF file type
with this Obey file.

> I see a suitable place for !SharedLibs in the system's !Boot.Resources
> as all those apps get automatically run at boot time and SOManager will be
> loaded at that moment. And we could even finetune its current !Run so that
> SOManager module only gets loaded when the first ELF binary is executed.

My idea with the SOM1stRun obey file is one way this kind of fine tuneing
could be done.

I really don't know which way to go here though. If the plan is to put it into
!Boot.Resources, then the riscpkg package could be made to do that and
in this case wouldn't need to register any of the variables.

Would people prefer for the !SharedLibs to be put in !Boot.Resources?

Regards,
Alan