[gccsdk] Dynamic libraries vs pthreads

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Thu Sep 4 21:41:39 PDT 2008

Lee Noar wrote:

> I've just bought an Iyonix, so when I've got it set up properly, I'll
> have a closer look at this and the shared library version of Firefox.

Here's something that everyone can try more easily - nspr and its
tests:

  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs-mirror.mozilla.org:/cvsroot co
-rFIREFOX_2_0_0_17_RELEASE mozilla/nsprpub
  cd mozilla/nsprpub

Apply the patch from AB (make sure your SVN is up to date), e.g.:

patch -p1 < /usr/src/gccsdk/autobuilder/browser/firefox2/nspr-diff.patch

Now build:

  /home/riscos/env/ro-config
  /home/riscos/env/ro-make
  cd pr/tests
  /home/riscos/env/ro-make

In particular, the xnotify test, this is what it should do on
Linux:

./xnotify -l

**********************************
              LOCKS
**********************************
      0: T1 waiting 3 seconds on o1
   3000: T1 resuming on o1
   3000: T1 creating T2
   3001: T1 creating T3
   3001: T2 waiting 5 seconds on o1
   3001: T1 waiting forever on o2
   3001: T3 waiting 5 seconds on o2
   8001: T2 resuming on o1
   8001: T2 notified o1
   8001: T3 resuming on o2
   8001: T3 notify on o2
   8001: T1 resuming on o2

Where the numbers are the time that the event occurs in milliseconds.
There are two other tests, which don't do well on RISC OS either.
All of these are relatively simple uses of threading, so I'm
not yet sure what's going on.

Sorry, don't have the RISC OS result of this test to hand,
but it's wrong ;-)