[gccsdk] Wikification of package entries

Theo Markettos theo at markettos.org.uk
Sun Dec 6 17:43:26 PST 2009

On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 01:43:53PM -0800, Peter Naulls wrote:
> In particular, each package would have its own wiki page, probably
> with some boiler plate and other stuff that might be automatically
> generated - e.g. the description we have right now that we pull
> from Debian.  There would be some exceptions - in particular
> pages which already have their own page (OpenTTD et al) - in
> such cases, there would be a mix of custom wiki and the boiler
> plate.

One issue is if the entries get edited after the script has uploaded them.
Will the next script run wipe out any user-edited changes?

One simple way - no idea if MediaWiki supports it but other similar
languages like SSI and PHP do - is to have macros for name, version number,
description etc which are defined from the Debian control file and kept
separate from the wiki page.  The wiki page just invokes these macros in
places in the text which is replaced by the current value from the control
file.

Then all you need is a script to one-off upload a series of identical bulk
template pages.  These can be modified as required later - and if the macros
change the content will too.  (One problem is that macro changes won't be
recorded in the edit history).

Theo