[gccsdk] Problems building crosscompiler

Steve Fryatt lists at stevefryatt.org.uk
Sun Nov 8 13:51:44 PST 2009

> I think this route might be more effort than it's worth.  The GCC 3 stuff
> hasn't been seriously maintained in several years.  Also, as I suspect
> you're aware, things build with GCC 3 default options have a chance of not
> working on the BeagleBoard.

True.  I had a vague memory of issues with old libraries and V4 (in terms of
the new binary formats), but hadn't got around to checking.  I'd avoided the
issue by not upgrading on the RISC OS side.

> I suggest going straight to GCC 4.1.  If you have any problems building
> your stuff with that, we easily help you there.

OK, that builds OK (I think).  That's using the sources from /gccsdk/trunk
as advised on the Using_GCCSDK page.

However, things then seem to diverge from the README.  Section 3 still
advises setting GCCSDK_INSTALL_CROSSBIN=/home/riscos/cross/bin and
prepending this to PATH, which is how version 3 worked.  The only problem
is, ~/cross/bin contains a load of files prefixed arm-unknown-riscos- and so
this doesn't seem to work (calling gcc as normal results in the standard
compiler being used, as I'd expect).

~/cross/arm-unknown-riscos/bin does contain suitably names binaries, but if
I try this path then #include<...> doesn't work as the compiler claims that
it can't find the headers required (eg. stdio.h).

Unfortunately, this is the point at which my limited knowledge runs out.  Am
I missing something obvious here?

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/