[gccsdk] Ports needing Love

alan buckley alan_baa at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 9 05:28:00 PST 2009

> Peter Naulls wrote on 5th Nov 2009ish

For some reason I don't seem to have seen
these messages anyway thanks to the feed
on riscos.info I'm aware of them now.

>[snip] other ports
> Games - all of the games in the AB built last time I went
> through them, but few have been tested, and many could do with
> packaging.   Alan, do you have any specific comments here?

I made a big effort to get most of the games from the old
UPP into the packages a year or two (or was it longer) ago.
The ones I left out were the ones without a clear copyright,
those I couldn't get to compile and run successfully,
those which other authors had put in the autobuilder, but
were distributing via their own websites and those that
I could not find the source code for.

The first group (I think there was probably only one) I
still don't want to package.
The second group if there are any that now compile and
run OK I'm happy to have a go at packaging them if you can
let me know what they are.
The third group again I'd be happy to create the packaging
information for them, but I wouldn't want to if it steps
on the toes of the people who did the original ports.
Of the last group, if anyone can find the source I'd have
a go at compiling and packaging them.

I'm now entirely set up for GCC4 only, so I assume I'd need
to have the latest UnixLibrary put in a package as well. Is
this the case or will the version used with GCC3 work with
GCC4 compiled programs as well? Are we at a position where
there is a stable UnixLib for GCC4 that can be used to
replace the one on the current riscpkg site for use with GCC3?

I wanted to get the latest version of Wesnoth to work, but
unfortunately for me they've started using the cairo library
which there isn't a RISC OS port for. Peter I don't know
if you've managed to get anywhere with cairo yet, but if
you've got as far as getting a basic RISC OS framework to
compile I'd like to have a look and see if I could contribute.

> RiscPkg.  Not part of riscos.info of course, but we try to make
> use of it.  The UI still needs an overhaul.  For ideas, look at the
> various solutions in Ubuntu.

For a while I've been trying to write a alternative front end
to RiscPkg, but unfortunately I keep ending up with crashes
which may or may not be from GCC4's exception handling.
At the moment I'm going through another period of giving up
on it, but if anyone would like to have a look at where I've
got to so far, let me know and I'll try to put it up on my
drobe webspace. If it looks like it's worth pursuing to
others I may get my enthusiasm for it back.

Regards,
Alan