[gccsdk] Thunderbird 2.0.0.19

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Tue Nov 10 16:08:06 PST 2009

Chris Gransden wrote:
> I've been trying out Thunderbird on beagleboard but I'm having a few
> problems.
>
> The main issue is that I can't send or reply to a message. I always get
> 'An error occurred while creating a message compose window'. I can
> receive and read email ok.
>
> When starting up I always get 'could not initialize the browser's
> security component'. This doesn't seem to cause a problem.

Like, Firefox (which is 90% the same code) the security bits don't work
unless you have a shared library build.  I've not actually tried that
with Thunderbird.

> I then tried to build Thunderbird in the autobuilder but it gets this
> far with the following error,
>
> make[4]: Entering directory
> `/linux1/trunk/build/thunderbird2/mozilla/xpcom/typelib/xpidl'
> make[5]: Entering directory
> `/linux1/trunk/build/thunderbird2/mozilla/xpcom/typelib/xpidl'
> xpidl.c
> /usr/bin/cc -o host_xpidl.o -c -O3 -static -I../../../dist/include/xpcom
> -I../../../dist/include -I../../../dist/include/nspr
> -I../../../dist/sdk/include -I../../../dist/include/nspr xpidl.c
> In file included from xpidl.c:42:
> xpidl.h:49:18: error: glib.h: No such file or directory
> xpidl.h:53:24: error: libIDL/IDL.h: No such file or directory

I'm actually somewhat surprised that anyone has tried this, but it's
all pretty straightforward.  There are comments hiding in the setvars
script.  In short, you need native versions of these headers - for
Debian/Ubuntu, libglib2.0-dev and libidl-dev.

The Thunderbird stuff is essentially just a sync of ongoing Firefox
patches, so I can't promise any kind of stability in what you'll end
up with.