[gccsdk] Firefox effort for RISC OS

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Thu Sep 10 14:17:00 PDT 2009

Paul Stewart wrote:
> In message <4AA536B1.9070904 at chocky.org>
>           Peter Naulls <peter at chocky.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm presently considering how much more effort I want to put into
>> Firefox for RISC OS, so the outcome of this will certainly impact
>> it.  Oh, and donations remain welcome
>
> Peter, assuming you decide to continue with Firefox on RISC OS I'm
> guessing you would most probably would like some donations.  Hence you
> writing: "Oh, and donations remain welcome".  Have you not thought of
> outlining what your plans are for Firefox?

I have considered all these things, of course.  But it is the usual
dilemma of vapourware vs actual released features vs perception of
completeness.

> I for one would like you to continue developing Firefox.  It is by far
> the best browser on RISC OS for website compatibility.  I would like
> to support your continued efforts by donating some money once or twice
> a year, perhaps more if funds allow.  However for me to make that
> commitment of donating, I would like to know what to expect in terms
> of development and functionality (I guess others may feel the
> same(feel free to chime in!), then again I maybe wrong).  I don't
> expect a detailed list of everything you would like to do to Firefox.
> Just some time scales for what you would consider key
> development/feature milestones.

Well, it sounds easy.  But the practicality of this kind of
adminstrivia is far more involved that you'd think - it could
easily take up to *half* of my time (no joke).  Plus I'm not
always the ideal choice for being objective about my work,
never mind that browsers on RISC OS are second only in contention
to ROL vs CTL/ROOL issues, and having to justify endlessly
why it doesn't make sense on a RiscPC, or I didn't fix a bug that
was mentioned "months ago".

Nevertheless, I have updated the Firefox page with at least some
of this.  Ideally, what is needed is another developer (look at
the role of Michael Drake for NetSurf) at least casting an eye over
what is being done, and giving a second opinion on priorities, or filing
proper bug reports etc.

http://www.riscos.info/index.php/Mozilla_Firefox