[gccsdk] evince

Chris Gransden chrisg at care4free.net
Sun Jan 3 07:52:41 PST 2010

Peter Naulls wrote:
> Chris Gransden wrote:
>> As there's not much happening on the PDF viewing front I thought I'd
>> have a go at building evince.
>> It builds OK but I get the following when run,
>> GLib: Cannot convert message: Conversion from character set 'UTF-8'
>> to 'ISO-8859-1' is not supported
>> Cannot parse arguments: Cannot open display:
> I suspect these are easy to resolve, however:
I've only just got passed the getting stuff to build stage.
>> I also get this running gnumeric. Is attempting to build and run
>> stuff like this a good idea at the moment or
>> is a lot more work needed to get them running.
> Both these require a proper RISC OS port of freetype/fontconfig/pango
> etc.  If you wanted to look at those, it'd be appreciated, but it's a
> non-trivial problem.  XPDF too, I think relies on fontconfig, but
> less so, so might be a more tractable problem.
I'd forgotton about xpdf. I'm getting the 'Can't open display' error
from xpdf too.

epdfview also builds. When run it appears in the list of 'Application
tasks' and prints the following directly on the screen,

XESetCloseDisplay: not implemented
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "(null)".

That's the closest I've got to getting something to run, apart from
command line stuff.