[gccsdk] GCC 4.1.1 Release 2 packages

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Sat Jan 2 08:08:11 PST 2010

alan buckley wrote:
> < On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 Peter Naulls wrote:

>> Incidentally, I also added to my
>> script some additional Conflicts: tags to really
>> ensure people don't try to use very old GCC 2.x
>> and 3.x (and the explicit !UnixLib).
>
> Please don't add a conflicts with the explicit !UnixLib.
> The sharedunixlibrary doesn't actually conflict with
> !UniXLib, it will replace it in time though, but old
> packages can still use !UnixLib.

No, but !GCC does, at least logically, which is where
the provides field comes in.  I'm not entirely
sure of what you are objecting to here.  !UnixLib is
only required (IIRC) with GCC 2.95, or if you really
want to use with Norcroft, but I think modern UnixLib
won't work with it - John abandoned that effort some
time ago.   The point is to avoid potential confusion
about needing it.

>> The problem is introduced when adding the NetSurf
>> repository, since as you mention, that depends upon,
>> and also has, an upper case version. That will
>> have conflicting files with the lower case version
>> when you try to install.
>>
>> There are a couple of things that can be done here:
>>
>> - Rename the riscos.info package names to lower case.
>
> I think I would have prefered at least the
> SharedUnixLibrary package to retain the mix case as
> it would fit better on the riscpkg site as I would like
> to put a copy of it there so all future packages use it
> instead of !UnixLib.

But !UnixLib never contained the module, did it?  It
was always distributed separately for !System.

>> - Implement the Provides: field.
>
> I'm not sure what the "Provides" tag adds, can you
> explain it to me?

It allows virtual packages:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html

This is important for package renaming, should
that become possible, or if another package is
a superset of something else.

cc