[gccsdk] GCCSDK 4.1.2 Rel 1 preparation

Jillian and Christopher Martin belles at internode.on.net
Wed Apr 27 11:32:47 PDT 2011

In message <b55539c151.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>

> I would like to get GCCSDK 4.1.2 released the coming days.  It will contain
> 15 months accumulation of bug fixes and improvements.  Changelist so
> far is <URL:http://www.riscos.info/websvn/filedetails.php?repname=gccsdk&path=%2Fbranches%2Frelease_4_1_2%2Friscos%2Fdist%2F!GCC%2Fdocs%2FChanges>.
>
> Stabilising the GCCSDK 4.1.2 code base will happen on the
> branches/release_4_1_2 SVN branch so if you were tracking trunk and would
> like to stick to that code base, do:
>
>   $ cd <your current trunk/gcc4 checkout>
>   $ svn switch svn://svn.riscos.info/gccsdk/branches/release_4_1_2/
>
> Please bring any possible showstopper/regression under my attension
> (preferably via Bugzilla or this mailing list).
>
> The GCCSDK 4.6 work done so far will be merged to trunk and I hope we will
> find enough time to track the GCC 4.7 developments as well.

John,

I have discovered serious bugs in asasm regarding ELF relocations and
am currently working on a fix. I'm not sure that it is a show-stopper
because it may be that no-one else is using asasm to reassemble old
code for use with GCC 4. But I need asasm for ARMv7 builds of
OpenVector & Co and the bugs have made it impossible.

I have been using RISC OS for this work, but asasm from the 4.1.1
release was so unusable that I installed the 4.6 trunk on an old
laptop running Ubuntu. I was able to build !GCC 4.6 but couldn't work
out how to do anything more. So I dragged the asasm sources across to
RISC OS and started working there. I may have fixed the problem now (I
will soon try another OpenVector build) but it will take me longer to
figure out how to migrate my changes back into the GCCSDK and into the
appropriate SVN branch. I am still trying to get my head around the
entire 4.6 layout, let alone the branches.

For what it's worth, I'm also part-way through converting the
DigitalRenderer BASIC into Objasm format. As soon as I have dealt with
asasm, I'll finish the DigitalRenderer job.
--
Regards, Chris.