[gccsdk] !PDF

Martin Wuerthner martin at mw-software.com
Thu Feb 3 12:35:34 PST 2011

In message <23e0de9f51.Kevin at talktalk.net>
          Kevin Wells <kevinwells at talktalk.net> wrote:

> In message <519ce2c1e5chrisg at care4free.net>
>           Chris Gransden <chrisg at care4free.net> wrote:

>>I finally got around to finishing adding the rest of the Xpdf 3.02 source
>>to !PDF. You can download a test !RunImage here,
>>http://www.cgransden.co.uk/ PDFtest.zip
>>Hopefully I haven't broken anything.

> It appears to run OK here, but I found one pdf that it just displays
> boxes:

> <http://www.parliament.uk/documents/foi/Catering-6th-Floor-Cafe-7-Mill
> bank-F11-009-2011.01.10.pdf>

Yes, that is to be expected. The "text" on it is all represented as
soft (alpha) masked bitmaps, though only two values are used in the
mask: fully on and fully off, so a normal binary mask would have been
sufficient. !PDF ignores soft masks, so you just see the actual
bitmap, which is a box of solid colour.

The same happens in ArtWorks, the main difference being that with
warnings enabled ArtWorks tells you that the soft masks of lots of
bitmaps were ignored.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin at mw-software.com