[gccsdk] Running out of memory when compiling C++ program

Alan Buckley alan_baa at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 4 00:39:12 PST 2011

I’m trying to compile some examples using the boost
library natively using the GCC4.1.1 release 2 compiler
and keep running out of memory.

I understand that C++ does require a lot of memory
so there may be nothing that can be done about it.

However I get:

cc1plus: out of memory allocating 65536 bytes after a total
of 33492992 bytes.

What I don’t understand is why that only seems to be 33MB
and according to the Tasks list I still have 54MB of free space
at this time. I start with 111MB.

I get the same result on RISC OS 4.0.2 on RPCEmu and on an
Iyonix (RISC OS 5.12 or later I think).

Is this a problem with g++ memory handling or has it really
run out of memory and just the task display is not up to date
and the message is misleading?

I couldn’t see anything, but is there a way to force g++ to
use only a certain amount of RAM? or a virtual memory
system that is compatible with it and will work on my
Iyonix at least?

Is this something that the GCC4.6 compiler will be better
with when its released?

Regards,
Alan