[gccsdk] hpp and ipp header files and suffix swapping

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Fri Mar 4 12:45:59 PST 2011

In message <SNT136-ds190397CA9CAFC06F123384F0C20 at phx.gbl>
          "Alan Buckley" <alan_baa at hotmail.com> wrote:

> The boost libraries use suffixes hpp for header files and ipp
> which I assume are inline function include files.
>
> Should these be added to the sfix list for gcc and all its
> tools?
>
> If so, do I just need to change the !GCC !run file or are
> there other locations that will need changing?

I don't think there is a real technical requirement to define suffix
swapping for hpp/ipp files in order to be able to use them under RISC OS
as an "#incude <boost/scoped_ptr.hpp>" should result in reading
"boost.scoped_ptr/hpp" on RISC OS.

However for consistency reasons with normal .h header files we might do
this as well.

I don't have a strong opinion about it, except that if we go for hpp/ipp
suffix swapping we do the following:

1. !GCC's !Run file needs to be adapted (and yes, that should be enough)
2. We should do hpp/ipp suffix swapping for all libraries (Boost might the
   only one, I don't know) packaged for RISC OS users from now on
3. We need to provide a ReadMe section in those libraries for !GCC 4.1.1
   users detailing what needs to be changed in their !Run file
   (otherwise they won't be able to use these libraries).

As once we go for it, we'll stick to it (as it is rather disruptive for
our users to revert this decision).