[gccsdk] Symlink: Unknown file type

Ron beeb at woosh.co.nz
Wed Mar 16 17:25:35 PDT 2011

In message <4ca5b6b451.beeb at ron1954.woosh.co.nz>
          Ron <beeb at woosh.co.nz> wrote:

> Running 'tar cvf  libs.tar !Sharedlibs'
> gives the error 'Unknown filetype; file ignored' with Symlink
> (1c8) types
> e1f type is OK and is not in my mimemap, so I am assuming there
> is a filetype map in unixlib?
> Does this mean that when new filetypes are used in RISC OS that
> unixlib needs to be updated if ports are to recognise them?

Changing the filetype of the Symlink file to many unheard of
types and tar does not ignore them.
So I think the error is misleading and tar/unixlib knows what
a Symlink file is, and is taking exception to it.

Now I have to find if Unixlib is saying 'dont do this'
or if Tar is configured to ignore them.
There was a message from the cross-compiler at one point
saying hard links are not supported on your platform.

Ron M.