[gccsdk] Symlink: Unknown file type

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Tue Mar 22 14:33:24 PDT 2011

In message <41f7d0b751.beeb at ron1954.woosh.co.nz>
          Ron <beeb at woosh.co.nz> wrote:

> > I have found a setting in unixlib/buildoptions.h that alludes to
> > toggling symlink actions on or off.
> > #define __UNIXLIB_SYMLINKS  1
> > setting this to 0 did not have any effect though.
>
> One thing leads to another, setting this in the Recipe version of
> the file and running ./build-world -then it takes effect and the
> symlink type is treated like any other file.

Yes indeed.  Settings in buildoptions.h are configuration options for
UnixLib building (usually for features of which we're not certain of
their impact).  If you want to make changes there, you need to do a full
rebuild of UnixLib.

Note you can not really distribute the shared library of UnixLib to
other parties as you're making an incompatible version.  Of course,
the static changed version can be used to build your programs.

> OK until I run into something that uses or needs symlinks, I guess.

Unless we have a better understanding of the root cause of your problem
here, I believe you're working around a problem with symlink support.
Currently I have no time following up on this so if you think this is
worthwhile to be addressed in UnixLib itself, please file a bug via
www.riscos.info/bugzilla so it doesn't get forgotten.