[gccsdk] Autobuilder libglib2.0-0

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Wed Feb 5 16:21:30 PST 2014

In message <44a0fbd453.beeb at ron1954.woosh.co.nz>
          Ron <beeb at woosh.co.nz> wrote:

> In message <4c62ebd453.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>
>           John Tytgat <John.Tytgat at aaug.net> wrote:
>
> > In message <18f0e7d453.beeb at ron1954.woosh.co.nz>
> >           Ron <beeb at woosh.co.nz> wrote:
> >
> > > I had a problem where libffi was not linking when trying to build
> > > libglib2.0-0
> > > After examining the make file I found plain native gcc was being
> > > used rather than arm-unknown-riscos-gcc.
> > > In the libglib2.0-0 setvars file I remarked out these lines.
> > >
> > > # build for local system to build local tools
> > > #CC=$HOST_CC CXX=$HOST_CXX ./configure --prefix=$GCCSDK_INSTALL_CROSS
> > > #make install
> > > #make clean
> > >
> > > And then libglib2.0-0 built successfully.
> > > Can someone explain the intention of the above or perhaps
> > > correct my misunderstanding.
> >
> > In order to build libglib for RISC OS you need to have the glib-genmarshal
> > executable for your build machine.  That's why this gets first built
> > using your native gcc compiler and this gets then installed in
> > $GCCSDK_INSTALL_CROSS (where the RISC OS cross-compiler is installed).
>
> By 'this' I assume you mean a whole native libglib2.0-0, that
> appears to be what is happening anyway.

Yes.

I had a go myself to build libglib2.0-0 from scratch.  It turns out that
the native glib-genmarshal is not (no longer ?) needed for building libglib
itself.  So I removed the part of building native libglib, basically
your suggestion.

I'm not sure whether native glib-genmarshal isn't needed by other libraries
or libglib using programs, but as it is already suggested by AutoBuilder's
'build' file, you better have it installed natively so I don't see the
point of building it ourselves.  I hope this doesn't have any fallout.

Hope this helps,
John Tytgat, in his comfy chair at home
John.Tytgat at aaug.net