[Rpcemu] Just starting!

P.J.G. Long pjgl2 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 7 11:16:18 BST 2008

Dear Theo, Jan

      Thank you for the speedy feedback, sorry I didn't reply before but
 my broadband went down as things 'started' to work.

 Thanks to all the help, I now have a working system that seems to be very
usable, if a bit baffling at times. Some notes/observations that may help
people in the future

 1) version 0.7 from the website compiles on Debian and works with 3.7 rom
images at an indicated MIPs>110 on my machine with dyn option.

 2) NB without dyn sound sort of works with 0.7 (but not on svn)

 3) I can't seem to get the hard disk image from the website to work!

 4) However using hdform does produce a usable hd. NB It can produce .hdf
files in other directories if you are not careful. I managed to produce a
file in my home directory which seems to take priority over the one in the
directory holding rpcemu. Can waste a lot of time!

 5) I haven't managed to get 0.7 to work reliably with boot, seems to
 loose setting etc. so moved to the latest from svn

 6) NB soon as I inserted the boot sequence the indicated mips dropped to
appro 75 on 0.7, 35 on svn!

 7) Once the boot sequence is in place hostfs seemed to appear, but note it
does need to be lower case hostfs, not HOSTFS as in the download.

 8) Currently working at 1280x1024x256 and it is really nice

 9) I have been running a CAD package which seems drop the indicated mips
to ~25 (at one stage it was indicating 11 for a long period*) but it
certainly doesn't feel 4-10 times slower than the raw boot. What does the
mips reading actually indicate?

 * I wondered if this was due to the cpu clocking down, but it doesn't seem
to be. I can force it down but to 1/3 speed which corresponds to 7-8 mips
indicated.

 10) The correct graphics driver is obviously important. Now running with
the latest nVidia driver not stock vesa or fb

 I don't know if my experiences are typical, but I guess there would
significantly more take up if there were .debs etc available, especially if
they were compiled against stable so the user doesn't need dev/testing
environment.

Also include direct access to the allegro libs as these were not in my
distribution.

 Also a FAQ re issues like the hd image not working

How to copy files/applications from your old box/VA installation.

What exact options are needed for the HD formatting if not using the
pre-formatted version. Good notes from Terry Duell, archives Jan 08, but
slightly different from my experiences.

 Would be nice to see screen shots of practical applications as well as
games,

 Yet to try !zap, and basic programs. Looking forward to developing some in
a familiar environment and then running natively under brandy.

 Thanks once again for all the help and the speed of answers

  Please do not take the above as major criticism, the project is
excellent. I have been using Linux as my main day-to-day platform for about
4 years now. Only having to switch to windows to run VA, Finally I will be
able to almostly completely ignore windows!!!

  Regards

--
Peter J G Long PhD
Senior Design Engineer