[Rpcemu] Filename problems

Theo Markettos rpcemu at markettos.org.uk
Mon Jun 9 23:46:59 BST 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:53:10AM +1000, Terry Duell wrote:
> I have been getting numerous errors, almost all "HostFS:$.xxx.yyyy file not
> found", and all these cases are filenames that contain a space, one example;
> "!Boot.Resources.!Manuals.Root.ECS not found" whereas the file is really
> named "ECS Utils".
> ROS 4.39 doesn't seem to have any problems with these filenames on the RPC
> but does when it is run in RPCemu...or is there something else going on here?
> Is there a way around this problem?

[reposting what I said on csa.apps for the benefit of Tom et al]

I wondered whether it might be that RPCEmu HostFS isn't doing a character
substitution.  It should present filenames with spaces under Unix to RISC OS
with hard spaces.  There may also be a problem if it's allowed to save files
with hard spaces in their names - if the host machine is using UTF8 then a
hard space (char 160) may create an invalid Unicode character instead, so it
should probably convert them back to normal spaces.

A quick look at the source seems to suggest that there's no character
substitutions going on in HostFS, so this would seem to be the problem.

Theo