[Rpcemu] Patch to 'make install' - configurable file paths

Musus Umbra musus.rpcemu at verelanthe.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 06:57:29 EST 2008

On Wednesday 26 Nov 2008, Theo Markettos wrote:
> logfile probably doesn't want to be hardcoded to /var/log, but I'm
> not sure of the best place for a user-specific logfile?

Why not just stick that in ~/.rpcemu also?  That keeps it out of the
way...  after all, if you need to be looking at the logfile you're
probably also looking at other stuff in there too ;)

Various other apps seem to dump logfiles into ~ with names
like "<app>-<PID>.log", etc.  A practice I'm not fond of since it
clutters up my homedir needlessly.

Another option might just be to spit things to stderr and let them end
up in .xsession-errors (or equivalent), perhaps.

If all else fails, you could always dump the logfile stuff in /tmp with
the username/PID as part of the filename, perhaps.  As long as it's
documented I don't suppose it really matters where the log ends up.

TTFN,
Adny
Erst wenn die Wolken schlafengehn	 | Personal: adny at verelanthe.co.uk
kann man uns am Himmel sehn		 | Techie: musus at verelanthe.co.uk
wir haben Angst und sind allein		 | WWW: verelanthe.co.uk/musus/
Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein!	 | UT: adny.rsa at googlemail.com
-- Rammstein / Engel