[Rpcemu] Linux networking

Bryan Hogan rpcemu at helpful.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 28 14:24:01 PDT 2009

In message <886b1f5050.Paul at phawfaux.co.uk>
          Paul Stewart <paulstewart at phawfaux.co.uk> wrote:

> I have Puppy Linux setup with RPCEmu, complete with networking.
> The networking is setup using a bridge that both the RPCEmu TAP
> interface and my Ethernet interface included.

> Under Ethernet this works fine i.e. internet and ShareFS both work.

> Now I try the same thing, Ethernet disabled, but WLAN enabled.  Again
> WLAN and TAP are both included in the bridge.  On this occasion,
> networking under RPCEmu fails, but works a little!  I am unable to
> browse the internet or ping my router, but ShareFS is able to see
> another system on my network.  However ShareFS falls over when I
> attempt to access that system.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere about a Linux bug that means TAP
doesn't work (or not entirely) with wireless networks.

However I can't remember where I saw that or in what context. Possibly
an Ubuntu forum somewhere.

Sorry this isn't very helpful! But it may mean it isn't a rpcemu
issue.

Bryan.