[Rpcemu] OS X binary build available

Timothy Coltman timothy.coltman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 17:03:18 EDT 2009

HI all

I received a request for a binary build of 0.8.2 to be made available
a week or so ago, and such a beast is now ready for download.

The URL (which links to a 2MB zip archive) is:

http://files.me.com/timothy.coltman/8jsfhp

The archive contains an installer package, which offers you the choice
of two versions (one compiled with GCC 4 and the other with LLVM-GCC,
which should be faster).  Both builds are based on 0.8.2, but I've
tweaked the code to make it more Mac friendly.  The GCC 4 one is
compatible with both Tiger (10.4) and Leopard (10.5), whilst the
LLVM-GCC one is Leopard only.  The installer sticks the RPCEmu
application in /Applications (fun for all the family) and creates a
RPCEmu directory for ROM images and so on in ~/Library/Application
Support.  The release notes contained inside the archive explain in
detail what you need to do to get it up and running, but essentially
the process is:

(i) Copy your ROM into ~/Library/Application Support/RPCEmu/roms.
(ii) Anything you want to access via HostFS goes in
~/Library/Application Support/RPCEmu/hostfs.
(iii) If you have a hard drive image, copy it to ~/Library/Application
Support/RPCEmu and name it "hd4.hdf".
(iv) Tweak the settings in ~/Library/Application
Support/RPCEmu/rpc.cfg in TextEdit (i.e. set the CPU and the RAM
size).

You should then be able to run the emulator by double-clicking on the
application in /Applications (look for the RISC PC logo).  Neither
dynamic recompilation nor networking are supported.

Whilst both the Tiger and Leopard versions are universal (PPC and
i386), only the i386 is of any use: the PPC one appears to suffer from
endian issues, causing the video to be messed up and any disc access
to fail.

Note that you do not need to install Allegro or the developer tools;
it should work out of the box.

I am undecided as to whether I will create any binary builds in the
future; it depends on the interest that this one generates, amongst
other things.  My original interest was just to see whether the
emulator could work on a Mac, as opposed to any overwhelming need to
use it (I've not used RISC OS in anger for nearly a decade).

Cheers
Tim

timothy.coltman at gmail.com