[Rpcemu] OS X binary build available

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Tue Mar 17 17:38:20 EDT 2009

In message of 16 Mar, Timothy Coltman <timothy.coltman at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI all
>
> I received a request for a binary build of 0.8.2 to be made available
> a week or so ago, and such a beast is now ready for download.
>
> The URL (which links to a 2MB zip archive) is:
>
> http://files.me.com/timothy.coltman/8jsfhp
>
> The archive contains an installer package, which offers you the choice
> of two versions (one compiled with GCC 4 and the other with LLVM-GCC,
> which should be faster).  Both builds are based on 0.8.2, but I've
> tweaked the code to make it more Mac friendly.  The GCC 4 one is
> compatible with both Tiger (10.4) and Leopard (10.5), whilst the
> LLVM-GCC one is Leopard only.  The installer sticks the RPCEmu
> application in /Applications (fun for all the family) and creates a
> RPCEmu directory for ROM images and so on in ~/Library/Application
> Support.  The release notes contained inside the archive explain in
> detail what you need to do to get it up and running, but essentially
> the process is:
>
> (i) Copy your ROM into ~/Library/Application Support/RPCEmu/roms.

This has to be into the Library in the User area, not the Library
directly on the hard drive.

> (ii) Anything you want to access via HostFS goes in
> ~/Library/Application Support/RPCEmu/hostfs.

I copied a load of applications from the HostFS in a Linux RPCemu.

> (iii) If you have a hard drive image, copy it to ~/Library/Application
> Support/RPCEmu and name it "hd4.hdf".

I also copied the hd4 of 1 Gbyte from the same Linux RPCemu.

> (iv) Tweak the settings in ~/Library/Application
> Support/RPCEmu/rpc.cfg in TextEdit (i.e. set the CPU and the RAM
> size).

When I had not put the RAM up to 128 M and not set the CPU to ARM710 I
got this error:

  RPC Emu c0.8.2
  Bad opcode 12 D12D0303 at 21D0804

  And a click on OK led to a complete crash of RPCemu

But once I put in 128M of RAM and switch to ARM710, all was well.

> You should then be able to run the emulator by double-clicking on the
> application in /Applications (look for the RISC PC logo).

Very nice and quick to start up.

> Neither dynamic recompilation nor networking are supported.

I don't know what Dynamic recompilations does and the lack of networking
is a bit of a bummer for me.

> Whilst both the Tiger and Leopard versions are universal (PPC and
> i386), only the i386 is of any use: the PPC one appears to suffer from
> endian issues, causing the video to be messed up and any disc access
> to fail.

I only installed the i386 version.

> Note that you do not need to install Allegro or the developer tools;
> it should work out of the box.
>
> I am undecided as to whether I will create any binary builds in the
> future; it depends on the interest that this one generates, amongst
> other things.  My original interest was just to see whether the
> emulator could work on a Mac, as opposed to any overwhelming need to
> use it (I've not used RISC OS in anger for nearly a decade).

Yes it definitely works.

On the other hand my use of VARPC on the Mac is primarily for mail and
news and a few graphical applications plus doing a simple website.  The
problem I have with VARPC is continual keyboard lockups and I would be
very keen to see if this also happens with RPCemu.  But these keyboard
lockups principally happen when doing e-mails and news postings, as
happened on the previous paragraph of this note so I can't easily check
if RPCemu does the business.

The Desk_Bogo program gave a reading of 35.69, though it seems faster
than that.  SICK ran through to the end and reported 110649.9
Dhrystones/sec on integers and 689.2990 kWhetstones/sec on floating
point.

Many thanks for this implementation: is shows real progress and enormous
promise.

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim at powys.org
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/