[Rpcemu] RPCemu spoon edition on Mac OS (Snow Leopard)

Timothy Coltman timothy.coltman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 10:49:04 PDT 2009

On 2009/9/17, Al Webb <al.webb at ausi.com> wrote

> Hi,

<snip>

> I'd like to ask if anyone has succesfully run RPCemu spoon on Mac OS 10.6.1
> yet at all please?
> I particularly question it as when I run RPCemu (from Terminal), it
> currently shows a message "Warning
> once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView,
> which has been deprecated. Apps
> should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz" which I guess is
> regarding Allegro-4.2.2 (??). I did
> some web searches on that message which didn't suggest anything serious but
> of course I want to make sure Snow Leopard won't introduce problems. Has
> anyone done this upgrade and/or resolved that error message?

NSQuickDrawView does cause problems if you attempt to compile Allegro as
64-bit (which is the default under SL), as it's 32-bit only (the deprecated
message is there for a reason!). If you do compile from source (as opposed
to just copying over your files from your Leopard system), you will need to
force both Allegro and RPCEmu to build in 32-bit mode, and edit one of the
files that Allegro installs.

I tried installing the binary of 0.8.2 that I built a while back.  It ran
fine (using RISC OS 4.02) and got to the desktop, where I discovered that
the mouse doesn't work (the keyboard is okay, however).  There is an Allegro
demo program (in allegro-4.2.2/demos) named "exmouse" - if I run this, it
tells me I have no mouse.  Which is useful.  I tried re-compiling from
scratch (both Allegro and RPCEmu) and the mouse still did not work.  I am
using USB Overdrive to tweak the mouse behaviour, so that may be interfering
(though, having said that, I used the Microsoft mouse driver on Leopard, and
it worked fine).

In conclusion: worth a shot, but don't hold your breath...
timothy.coltman at gmail.com