[Rpcemu] Clear Up Confusion over Which Version.

Terry Duell tduell at iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 28 15:48:17 PDT 2009

Hullo Ralph,

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:27:55 +1000, Ralph Corderoy <ralph at inputplus.co.uk>
wrote:

> I've recently started to look at RPCemu;  a nice piece of work Tom,
> thanks.  But I find the current situation regarding versions to be
> unclear.

[snip]
I too find the whole situation unclear.
It is a bit of a mystery to me why the development has separated into two
streams.
I may be a bit confused about this, but I think the Spoon edition was
created to provide a simpler, or user friendlier way, of making RPCemu
available to the ordinary user. Accessing the source from svn and building
your own binary isn't seen as simple for many.
That's probably a good approach, but it looks as though development has
proceeded on the Spoon edition and the original svn repository left to
languish. Sorry if I have this wrong, but that is certainly the way it
looks. RPCemu (svn 168) announces itself as version 0.82, and the Spoon
edition is at 0.85.
My feeling is that it would be better to maintain the development source
within the svn repository, and from time to time make binary packages
available, e.g. the Spoon edition.
I have tried both versions and find the svn168 (0.82) better for me. I
build RPCemu on Fedora 11 x86_64.
If the source were to be maintained in the one repository, I would be
happy to try to do regular builds  of Fedora packages. That can be done
using mock so once all the background has been done to write the spec
file, it is relatively simple to create packages for different releases of
Fedora, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Centos.  It all sounds nice, and easy
:-).

Regards,
Terry Duell