[Rpcemu] A pleasant blue window...

David david at ukpoets.net
Thu Mar 18 13:45:36 PDT 2010

In article <20100318170448.GA2403 at spod.org>, Peter Howkins
<rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 04:06:22PM +0000, David wrote:
> >
> > I went through the installation sequence as per the
> > "RPCEmu_Linux_Guide" page. However, all I get is the 2D desktop: I
> > don't know if this is supposed to be right; it doesn't equate to
> > the illustrations in the Guide. Could this be due to the aborts?

> bit of the manual.

> http://www.marutan.net/rpcemuspoon/manual/#menu

> One of the problems with the docs is, you need slightly different
> instructions for each version of RISC OS ... and there's 10 plus!

> Here's a quick guide to installing 3.70 from scratch. I think the
> problem is trying to mix and match too many different sets of files,
> configurations and instructions.

[Big Snip]

>  - Run the !Sparkplug application by double-clicking it, there should
>    now a sparkplug icon on the iconbar.

>  - Drag the 'uniboot/zi' file from HardDisc4 to the sparkplug icon
>    and Drag !Boot in the archive window back to HardDisc4. This'll
>    take a little while to finish, but the sparkplug icon will return
>    to normal once it's done.

>  - Restart the RPC, either quit the emaultor and rerun it, or select
>    Shutdown from the task manager icon and click 'restart'

All went swimmingly to this point...

>  - Boot should have run, you'll have a nice Acorn backdrop on the
>  pinboard

...but this didn't happen. Can't say at what point because it all
happened so quickly but it aborted with the message

"RPCemu error: Bad opcode 36 73692029 at 219304C"

However running again with Delete held down started it. It also
restarts but each time with a "branch through zero at &03813AEC" error
and doesn't respond to any mouse clicks.

> - Accessing CD-ROM - Open up the menu 'ctrl-end', select
>  Settings->CD-ROM->Host CD/DVD Drive this should allow direct access
>  to /dev/cdrom - You can also choose a .iso cdrom image to use
>  instead off the CD-ROM menu.

> - Sound - Open up the menu 'ctrl-end', select Settings->Settings and
>  click the Sound box on the window. Sound can get a bit clicky and
>  also has about a 1/4 second delay on it.

> Erm, at this point, you should have a pretty solid system that's not
> complaining about things, that you can easily add things too by
> downloading stuff off the internet into hostfs and copying it into
> HardDisc4.

Also 'Ctrl-End' has no effect. Nor has F12.

So, I replaced the hd4.hdf with a new copy which, thankfully, got me
back to the point before I unzipped the !Boot.

Then a succession of various errors as I kept replacing the hd4.hdf,
ending up with an uncancelable one with the pointer stuck in the box.

> Let me know when you get stuck ;-)

Now! :-)

--

David - david atcost ukpoets fullstop net