[Rpcemu] RPCemu v0.8.8 (compared to v0.8.3) on Mac OS - Take Two

Al Webb al.webb at ausi.com
Thu Oct 7 09:45:26 PDT 2010

Hi,

Thanks very much for your feedback Francis. And thanks re note of log file location, I must have skipped that line when reading through that readme file originally.
I believe you are correct that my previous 0.8.3 build was an interpreter version although it's over a year ago now and I was new to both Mac OS and RPCemu at that time so I just tried to follow the instructions.
I've carried out some tests now of the issues I raised the other day, comparing the results across the following 4 v0.8.8 setups:
"ARM610Compiled" represents the build+questions in my previous email;
"SA110Compiled" is using that same v0.8.8 build but with StrongArm processor selected;
"ARM610Interpreted" uses the build 'rpcemu-spoon-fjd-2010-09-27-interpreter' you kindly emailed, with 610 processor selected; and
"SA110Interpreted" uses that same 'rpcemu-spoon-fjd-2010-09-27-interpreter' build but with StrongArm selected.

Q1) RAM.
The situation as originally queried occurs in all 4 scenarios. Have I got the wrong end of the stick with the question I'm asking here or is something awry please?

Q2) Command Line shortcut.
Using F12 alone for me instigates the Mac OS shortcut to open the Mac OS dashboard (not something I've yet tried to amend), and Cmd+F12 has no effect - in all 4 scenarios. In the same way that F15 is additionally mapped to break, could F13 or F14 say be used for an alternative shortcut to the command line?

Q3) Hanging upon boot.
"ARM610Compiled" - problem occurs as per original email;
"SA110Compiled" - seems ok!
"ARM610Interpreted" - seems ok (I tried numerous times using Break, shift break, re-opening rpcemu.app, and changing an rpcemu.app preference);
"SA110Interpreted" - seems ok.
This suggests the boot hanging problem is caused only by the combination of the ARM610 option and compiler build then?

Q4)(i) Random instruction fetch errors.
Frustratingly (for me) all 4 setups, including the original one I emailed about, now seem relatively stable. Perhaps a few Mac OS re-boots since then and/or avoiding trying the old v0.8.3 build have helped. I will let you know and re-test if they start again. I still get random errors running BASIC programs incidentally but that's for another thread.

(ii) RPCemu v0.8.3.
I avoided testing this alongside these other tests until the end when "SA110Interpreted" was the most recently used version. Version 0.8.3, via Terminal, then reported the same "Bus error" as reported previously. Not something I'm worried about though - more for information.

Q5) !Alarm Set command.
I'm sure I'm not imagining this used to work under v0.8.3 but if anyone recognises the commands changed since RISC OS 3.11 (and to what), please could you let me know? The issue occurs under all 4 setups tested here.

Speed: The Compiled version operates significantly faster than the Interpreted version rpcemu-spoon-fjd-2010-09-27-interpreter, I'd say (based on BASIC FOR:NEXT loops) by a factor of around 4. This is roughly the same difference from the v0.8.3 build of mine.
Within each, I couldn't notice any difference using ARM610 versus SA110 processors.

Almost all of my RISC OS applications are from RISC OS 3.11 (or RISC OS 2.0!) so I knew I would face a number of applications failing. So far most seem ok or throw up the same error whether under ARM610 or SA110 so I will persist with the latter for now, noting what you said about it being better tested.

Any thoughts from anyone on the outstanding questions above would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Al