[Rpcemu] Basic questions

Peter Howkins rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net
Sat Oct 30 06:37:19 PDT 2010

Yes, this has changed recently, I'll check with the peeps at riscos.info
to see if the changes have settled before updating things.

> What is the current best web address for new users to be directed to in
> order to learn how to install rpcemu (0.8.8?) on Linux, etc?

http://www.marutan.net/rpcemu

Then check the the documentation section.

> Is the same address where to get the relevant files?

Yes

> Does it provide detailed instructions?

Yes?

> The idea here is to give someone totally new to rpcemu a good starting
> point.

Totally new to RPCEmu yes, totally new to RISC OS no.

Well there's not really an alternative, but at the same time the docs
currently don't go into particular detail on setting up RISC OS itself
from scratch, as that's exactly the same set of steps that someone would
follow on a piece of real hardware (and varies according to the many
versions of RO that RPCEmu supports).

> Also, are there instructions, etc, for someone like myself who has been
> using 0.8.6 and wants to try 0.8.8. (Again on Linux in my case, but the
> question is general.) In particular on how (if possible) to setup 0.8.8.
> and transfer all the user specific items from 0.8.6. to save going though
> the same initial process. I plan to do this when I can, but again, some
> info would be useful for me, and then for the magazine.

Compile up 0.8.8 as if you were a new user. Copy you ROMs, hd files and
hostfs content from the 0.8.6 dir to the new dir, jobsa.

> FWIW On an indivudual basis I've been reading the 0.8.8. threads, etc, but
> I've been very busy with something else. So I've been postponing trying out
> 0.8.8. until my 'round tuits' arrived. They may come sometime soon, now -
> unless aced by something else!  ;->

If you intend to 'persuade' people to use RPCEmu, it might be worth taking
the effort to keep up with development.

Peter

--
Peter Howkins